10 musts when moving to or from Louisville, KY
1) HAVE A PLAN
• This diminishes STRESS!
• Have a MOVING CHECK LIST.
• CHECK off each task when completed.
• Start a checklist as early as 45-60 days prior to the move.
2) HIRE A QUALIFIED REPUTABLE MOVER
• Check out the company’s licenses, credentials, and track record. Ask friends and family for recommendations. Check with the Better Business Bureau in Louisville KY.
• Check with the American Moving & Storage Association (AMSA) to see if your mover is a ProMover. ProMovers have met stringent criteria in order to make the list.
• Skip Pricing Estimates over the phone. Get in-home estimates.
• AVOID movers who ask for deposits or down payments, especially if they ask for them in cash.
3) SET A BUDGET
• There is more to than home buying and moving costs when relocating. Calculate transportation, meals, and lodging.
• If STORAGE is required until you get into your new home, you will want to find out the costs and liability differences between self-storage or storage in the moving companies facility.
• SAVE RECEIPTS! If relocating for a new full-time job and more than 50 miles from your home you can deduct the cost of packing, transporting, and storage (Storage up to 30 days).
4) UNDERSTAND PACKING:
• Utilize proper packing materials (Discuss this with your Moving Consultant).
• Label your boxes properly: NAME, ITEMS packed, ROOM that box will be moved to at destination,
• Know what household goods items can’t be moved on a moving truck: flammables, plants, and perishables.
• Pack a “Moving Survival” kit. Examples: Medications, toiletries, toilet paper for destination 1st day in your new home) extra light bulbs, tape measure (comes in handy to see if certain furniture will fit properly in a room), hammer, nails etc. Take this kit with you or mark the first box to come off the van and show this personally to the driver.
• You are responsible for transporting valuable and irreplaceable items: coin collections, heirloom jewelry and “important” documents. Moving companies do not insure these items.
• Less Stress: Pack a few boxes each day starting a couple weeks before move date if you choose to self-pack.
5) UNDERSTAND Insurance Options = VALUATION in Moving Company terms
• Basic Liability which comes automatic with each move pays only $.60 per pound for damaged goods.
• Full Replacement Coverage is an additional cost. Ask your mover.
6) SHARE ALL MOVING PLAN DETAILS with your MOVING COMPANY
• This way, there are no surprise costs. The household items that are loaded on a
truck are what you pay for.
• Any add-ons on moving day are newly calculated charges to your invoice.
7) CHECK OFF your INVENTORY at Destination!!
• The driver will provide you with a “Bingo” type inventory form. Each item he takes off the truck will have sticker number on it that will match a number on your bingo sheet. CHECK IT OFF!
8) PETS MOVING?
• Make early arrangements. Look for pet-friendly lodging.
• Flying? You will need to make flight arrangements up to 3-4 months prior to the move date. Airlines have limited flights that will transport pets.
• Discuss with your veterinarian that you transporting your pet by air.
9) DO YOURSELF a BIG FAVOR-Don’t Move items you don’t need or use!
• Do Not Be a Pack Rat…time to clean house!
• Cleaning house saves you $$$$$!
• Have a garage sale, sell items on Craig's List, etc.
10) TIME YOUR MOVE…SUMMER is the least Flexible time for all movers.
• Discuss dates as soon as you know when you want to move. Book well in advance!
References: Mary Ann Colton with A. Arnold Moving Company